List of speakers and title of their lectures
» Cancer and diabetes
- "O-Linked glycosylation in breast cancer: Its involvement in tumour development and progression"
Joy Burchell, King's College London School of Medicine, London, UK | CV |
- "Biosynthesis of cancer related carbohydrate antigens"
Fabio Dall'Olio, Faculty of Medicine, Bologna University, Italy | CV |
- "GD2 ganglioside induces a proliferative phenotype in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells via the constitutive activation of the tyrosine-kinase receptor c-Met"
Philippe Delannoy, Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, France | CV |
- "Antitumor activity of new synthetic glycolipids: Insights into the mechanism of action"
Alfonso Fernández-Mayoralas, Instituto de Química Orgánica General, CSIC, Spain | CV |
- "Effects and implications of transaldolase activity on glucose flux measurements in humans"
John Jones, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal
- "Glucose-based (spiro)heterocycles as glycogen phosphorylase inhibitors: design, synthesis, and evaluation in the context of type 2 Diabetes mellitus"
Jean Pierre Praly, Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, France | CV |
» Biomedical applications
- "The enzymology of hemicellulose utilisation in diverse ecological niches: From the forest to the human gut"
Harry Brumer, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden | CV |
- "Kinks and stars: Novel polysaccharide architectures for biomedical applications"
Bjorn Christensen, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway | CV |
- "Glyconanoparticles and their biomedical applications"
Soledad Penades, CIBER-BBN, Spain | CV |
» Host pathogen interactions, modulation of biological responses, glycans in
- "Insights into the molecular recognition of carbohydrates by natural and synthetic receptors"
Jesus Jiménez Barbero, Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas, CSIC, Madrid, Spain | CV |
- "Helicobacter pylori cell surface glycan structural features: role in gastric colonization, pathogenesis, and therapeutics"
Manuel Coimbra, University of Aveiro, Portugal | CV |
- "Role of glycans in the central nervous system"
Júlia Costa, Instituo de Tecnologia Química e Biológica (ITQB), Portugal
- "High sensitivity glycomics: glycan characterisation in health and disease"
Anne Dell, Imperial College, London, UK
- "Carbohydrate microarrays: contributions to the unravelling of biomocecular interactions in health and disease"
Ten Feizi, Imperial College, London, UK | CV |
- "Glycopeptides as tools to study congenital disorders of glycosylation"
Sabine Flitsch, University of Manchester, UK | CV |
- "Characterization of a membrane glycolipid synthase as potential therapeutic target against Mycoplasma infections"
Antoni Planas, Universitat Ramon Llull, Spain | CV |
- "Glycosylation of recombinant proteins for diagnostic and therapeutic use"
Catherine Ronin, SiaMed'Xpress, Université de Provence, France
- "Systems Glycobiology: Clinical markers that span the genome, transcriptome, proteome and glycome"
Pauline Rudd, University College Dublin, Ireland | CV |
- "ST3Gal-IV: a central player in chemokine-triggered leukocyte adhesion in vivo"
Markus Sperandio, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, Germany | CV |
» Therapeutics, others
- "Seven-membered iminosugars: from glycosidase inhibition to skeletal rearrangement"
Yves Blériot, Université de Poitiers, France | CV |
- "Glycoporphyrins: biological applications and synthesis of new derivatives"
José Cavaleiro, Universidade de Aveiro, Portugal | CV |
- "Carbohydrates in medicinal chemistry: a sweet perspective"
Laura Cipolla, University of Milano-Bicocca, Italy | CV |
- "Sugars and Proteins"
Ben Davis, University of Oxford, UK
- "Glycodendrimers as anti-adhesion drugs and vaccines"
T. Bruce Grindley, Dalhousie University, Canada | CV |
- "Synthesis of complex glycans of biological interest"
Yukishige Ito, RIKEN Advanced Science Institute, Japan | CV |
- "Carbobicyclic sugar mimics"
Slawomir Jarosz, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland | CV |
- "Iminosugars as therapeutic agents: new synthetic approaches, new potential applications"
Olivier Martin, Université d’Orléans, France | CV |
- "Synthesis of pseudo–oligomannoside to mimic «high-Mannose» type"
Florence Pilard, Université Picardie Jules Verne, Amiens, France
- "New synthons towards biologically active glycoadducts: from membrane imaging to antimicrobial compounds"
Yves Queneau, Institut de Chimie et Biochimie Moléculaires et Supramoléculaires, Lyon, France | CV |
- "Thiosaccharidic metabolites in human diets. Some recent chemical and biological aspects of glucosinolates"
Arnaud Tatibouët, Université d’Orléans, France | CV |
» Carbohydrate-based Vaccines
- "Potential synthetic carbohydrate-protein conjugate vaccines against Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes"
Hans Kamerling, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, The Netherlands | CV |
- "Synthesis of inner core lipopolysaccharide structures for the development of vaccines and antibiotics against Gram-negative bacterial infections"
Stefan Oscarson, University College Dublin, Irland | CV |
- "Carbohydrate vaccines to combat infectious disease"
Peter Seeberger, Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Germany
Daniel Varón Silva, Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Germany | CV |
The speakers have been selected from amongst the leaders in their fields, and will highlight the excellence of Glycosciences throughout Europe in the International Year of Chemistry.
In addition to the lectures, there will be posters and short oral presentations selected from the submitted abstracts. The program comprises also Round Tables to discuss not only scientific problems but also research opportunities and projects.